Site indexTranslate this siteEspañolValenciEnglishDeutsch
www.catedraldevalencia.es
Valencia Cathedral
You are in: Home / The Holy Chalice of the Lord Supper / The Chapel of the Holy Chalice

The Holy Chalice Chapel

Architect Pere Compte (also author of La Lonja of Valencia) built the corridor to the old hall in 1496 when the nave was extended so as to link the Bell Tower and the Chapter House.

click here to enlarge this imageThe entrance door has a gothic portal carved by Pere Balaguer in 1424. On one side of the corridor, one can see the funeral monument of the bishop Vidal de Planes, author of the Chapter House and The Adoration of the Shepherds (1472) a painting in fresco (now on canvas) by Lorenzo Pagano de Neapoli and Paolo de San Leocadio, placed in the Chapter House. It had been the proof for the decoration of the Great Chapel.

In the chapel, it is contemplated St Michael’s altarpiece (early 16th century), by Vincent Macip. It has the classical structure of 14th and 15th century altarpieces though the paintings express the transition to the Renaissance.

click here to enlarge this imageIn 1916, the Holy Chalice was safeguarded in the Chapter House, today its current chapel. This chapel is square in a flamboyant gothic style (14th century), with plain walls of carved stone. It was built under the order of Bishop Vidal de Blanes between 1365 and 1369. It was place for celebration of the Kingdom courts and Theology classes by Saint Vincent Ferrer, among others.

click here to enlarge this imageIt is 13 metres square and 16 metres high. It has a star-like ribbed vault which ribs extend till multicoloured severies. The twelve Apostles and the Coronation of the Virgin in the sky after the Assumption are represented in the keystones of the vault, being the latter the main mystery of this Cathedral.

click here to enlarge this imageThis space was not affected by the neoclassical restoration of the 18th century. The alabaster altarpiece, the old choir entrance (15th century) was placed there. There are twelve outstanding reliefs by the Florentine Giuliano Poggibonsi (Ghiberti's disciple, Paradise Doors, Florence). The lower part refers to the Old Testament, which images are prophecy of the upper part, the New Testament.

click here to enlarge this imageThe Epiphany, a fresco by Nicolás Florentino (1472) can be seen on the walls as well as the chains that had been used to close Marseille port and later brought to Valencia by Alfonso V the Magnanimous in the 15th century.

back back to top print
2007 - 2019 © Valencia Metropolitan ChapterPrivacy policyLegal NoteCookie policy Design: Eurisco.es